BeenVerified is a search engine that provides personal information such as age, contact information, driving citations, arrest history, felonies, misdemeanors, bankruptcies, judgments, liens and more. There is no need to view a paid report in order to opt out so you will incur no fees by following the directions in this article. If you do not opt out, others can access your personal information by paying a fee. If you remove yourself from the site by opting out, your data will not show up in search results and it will not be available for anyone to purchase. Following the steps in this article should take less than 2 minutes.
Steps for opting out and removing yourself from BeenVerified:
The opt out link opens in another window so you can toggle back and forth from the directions to the BeenVerified site.
1. Click on the BeenVerified Opt Out link.
2. Enter your name and state and click “Search.”
2. Click “That’s Me” on the first record that is yours. (My search returned 3 records, only 2 were mine.)
3. Enter your email address and then click on “Send Verification Email” so you will get an opt out confirmation. You may sign up for an account to review your record on an ongoing basis, but it’s not necessary. (I didn’t bother)
4. You will receive an immediate email. Click the link in the email to finalize the opt out and then you will get another notification advising you that your information will be removed in approximately 24 hours.
5. You may only remove a single record online so if you located more than one record pertaining to yourself, as I did, then you can either call them on the telephone or send an email to opt out the other records:
- Send an email to email@example.com and be certain to include the details of your records so there is no question as to which records need to be removed. OR…
- Call customer support at 1-888-579-5910 to opt out multiple records at once.
6. Verify your information has been removed.
- Your opt out request will be reflected in search results the next time BeenVerified’s server refreshes which is usually within 24 hours. The record I removed myself from (via online opt out) was gone an hour later. A few hours later, I received a confirmation email that the record I removed over the telephone was gone. I ran a final search on my name and confirmed that I was completely out of the database.
- If your records have not been removed after a day, “clear your history” in your browser in case your computer is storing and recalling information cached prior to the opt-out.
- If your records are still there after clearing browsing history, contact BeenVerified via email or telephone to follow up.
If you run into any issues or need help clearing your browser history, please put details (including the browser you’re using) in a comment and I will respond as soon as possible.
If you have not already done so, here’s a link to additional articles with directions for opting out of other popular people search engines.
Until next time… Stay Cyber Safe!